Monday, October 01, 2012

Alvin and the Bug Bombs

Dan set off bug bombs last night in our new place.  He even put two in the garage.  It needs to be noted that neither of us has seen any bugs prior to this, but hey, I married an engineer.  Get it?

Sooooo, today I open the garage door and shriek into the phone (Sorry, DeDe.).  Why, you may ask?  Because, sitting in the garage, right in the middle of the floor, was a chipmunk.  Sitting is actually the wrong word.  He was lurching, rather drunkenly, toward me.  Both of his eyes were glued shut and for a moment I thought he might be rabid.  As it turns out, however, he inhaled two bug bombs all night long.  This happened to me once - Dan set off a bug bomb right outside the open basement window while I was in there doing laundry.  I coughed up a lung and couldn't breathe without pain for a couple of weeks.  Bug bombs seem to be his M.O.

Anyway, I called Illinois Wildlife Control and they told me to call Best Friends Animal Hospital.  I called them and they told me to capture the chipmunk in a box and bring him to them and they would see what they could do.  So, I did it.  I drove two towns over with a shoebox beside me in the car, talking to a hyperventilating rodent.  Yep.  That's how I spent my birthday.


Both girls started school today.  I did not take pics with my phone.  I need to upload the ones taken with the "real" camera.  I will post them, I swear.

They both did great.  Abs loves her new teacher, Mrs. Nyland, and her classmates, even though she sits at a table full of boys.  Jules loves her two teachers, Ms. Christine and Ms. Linda.  Ms. Christine, sensing a jittery mommy, called me and sent me two pics of Jules today, to reassure me that she was fine.  I think I like her a lot.

Here is what Abs took for lunch today.


Sweet apple slices
Unsweetened grape juice
An empty container, which will hold a hard boiled egg tomorrow
Pretzel sticks and creamy swiss cheese wedge
Green grapes
LesserEvil Krinkle Sticks
Chocolate Teddy Grahams
Snap peas with ranch for dipping
and a love note.

Tomorrow the furniture comes.  Hoo boy.

Min

p.s.  The vet called - Alvin made it and is back to his feisty self again.  He will be released into the wild somewhere other than at our house.

No comments:

Teaching is Hard

I'm have been teaching in some capacity since 2003. I started out as a substitute teacher and did that while I went BACK to school and g...