Monday, October 22, 2012

Dreamgirls

This weekend was fun.  It was busy.  It was even slightly productive.  Life here in Libertyville is starting to feel a little normal.

Friday night, I went out with our neighbor, Hilde, and some of her friends.  She runs this group that goes to musical theater productions every other month or so.  First, we met for dinner at a local restaurant called Firkin.  I had a cheeseburger made from grass-fed cows and french fries. Not exactly what we have been eating at home, but what a treat!  Yum!  I would give this restaurant a 3 out of 5 on the food, but a 2 out of 5 for atmosphere.  It was too small, too crowded, and too noisy.  I would go again, but only if it were on a weeknight - not again on a Friday.  Whew.  Anyway, overall, I would recommend it.

Firkin of Libertyville
After dinner, we headed to the Marriott Theater in Lincolnshire to see this show.

Dreamgirls
Oh my.  Oh my, yes!  You must go to see this.  You. Must.  Powerful voices, incredible cast, no bad seats in the house.  Wow!!  I would strongly suggest, if you are in the Chicago area, that you see this show before it is over.

Meanwhile, at the homestead, Abby has continued to eat her healthy lunches and Juli has continued to be homeschooled a few times per week.  Also, we are still on our whole foods kick.  For instance, tonight's dinner was zucchini, yellow squash, onions, green peppers and mushrooms marinated in a homemade teriyaki sauce and then roasted in the oven, served with quinoa.  This was our first experience with quinoa, and it will not be the last.  I soaked it for 15 minutes beforehand to get rid of the bitter coating, and then cooked it in organic chicken stock for 30 minutes. Yum!  A versatile and healthy alternative to rice or couscous.

I will leave you with a picture of this sweet girl.

Abigail in driveway

This is a picture taken by Dan's phone, so the quality is not extraordinary, but this is what he came home to on Friday.  She was waiting for him.  So cute.

No comments:

Teaching is Hard

I'm have been teaching in some capacity since 2003. I started out as a substitute teacher and did that while I went BACK to school and g...