Wednesday, November 21, 2012

We are Thankful for Reading

This week, which is a short week for Abby and Juli both, we are reading.  We love to come together at night for "Mommy School".  Don't be put off, though.  Daddy is a big part of it, too.  I would say that we meet at least three or four times per week to read a Bible story and do some curriculum for Juli.  Abby loves it as much as her little sister, though.

That said, I cannot wait for summer when I can do Sonlight's first and fourth grade curriculum as a review for Abby and Samara.  As a teacher, I always fear that parents let their kids' brains stagnate over the summer and then we have to spend the first month of school re-teaching them what they do not remember from last year.  Please, folks, review with your kiddos.  Encourage them to read and practice some math.  At the very least, go out and buy them a grade level workbook and have them do a page or two each day.  Help them keep it fresh - it really is for the best.

Backing away from the soap box...

Ok.  This week, we read this:

Freight Train by Donald Crews
This book is wonderful for a few reasons.  First of all, it reviews colors with the kiddos.  It also reinforces patterns and train vocabulary.  The illustrations are simple and the use of white space really sets off the gorgeous artwork.  Very cool book.  My girls loved it.

Then we read

A Boy, A Dog and A Frog by Mercer Mayer

This, like Noah's Ark, is a story told by pictures.  It is about a boy and his dog, who set out to catch a frog, with hilarious results.  It introduces humor in books to preschoolers with ease and we enjoyed looking at the pictures and taking turns telling the story in our own words. 

Finally, a personal favorite of mine...

Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney

This book is amazing!  I like it for so many reasons.  First of all, we have a personal connection because we, in the St. Peter hacienda, are always trying to outdo each other with the "this is how much I love you" talk.  "I love you to heaven and back," is Abby's fave.  Mine is, "I love you to Pluto and back."  Juli's is, "I love you to sixteen."  Hmmm... we'll have to ask her about that one.  Anyway, it is about a young rabbit (nutbrown hare) and his parent (father) who try to outdo each other with demonstrations of their love for each other.  Juli literally smiled while I was reading it and then we had lots of fun showing each other up with our "bigger love".  Also, this book can be used to ease into teaching opposites - little nutbrown hare vs. big nutbrown hare, etc.

Thanksgiving is going to be busy this year - we will have a special guest (the girls don't know she's coming yet) and it is the first one in our new house.  Yippeee! 

Mindi

No comments:

Teaching is Hard

I'm have been teaching in some capacity since 2003. I started out as a substitute teacher and did that while I went BACK to school and g...