Saturday, June 08, 2019

Taking Care of Family

Dan and I have always had an agreement about our parents. If and when our older family members start to go downhill and need help, we will go to them with no questions asked. We feel that it is our obligation, and honor, to take care of them at the end of their lives just as they took care of us at the beginning of ours. We have parents who will not want to move in with us, but will prefer to live out their days in their own homes, or at least on their own terms. That said, we are prepared.

I have a friend who has a PhD in gerontology. She is an expert on the elderly. Talking to her makes me see how sad many of our elderly have it in the United States. For the richest country in the world (or one of them), this is very, very sad.

Let me make this clear. These people brought you into this world. You would not be here at all if it weren't for them. Got it? You owe them. If they want to go into a retirement home, then put them in one - the best one you can possibly afford. They won't live forever. Make the end of their lives the best that you can.

If they want to live out their lives in their own homes, but they need help. Help them. Move in with them, or near them. It's only temporary. Do this for them. Hire help for them if you have to, but make it so they can live where they want to live for as long as it is healthy for them.

If they want to move in with you, make the space. They did it for you. It is your turn. People in the U.S. just take, take, take. It's time to give.

I know that whoever reads this may strongly disagree with me on this and I am sure that everyone thinks they have an extenuating circumstance, but I do not care. This is my blog. My opinion. My sounding board. The fact remains, and you cannot argue with it, that you would not be here if it weren't for them.

Pthhhhhhbppp. 

No comments:

Teaching is Hard

I'm have been teaching in some capacity since 2003. I started out as a substitute teacher and did that while I went BACK to school and g...