Wednesday, January 02, 2013

We Have Been Busy

Hi there!  Wow - what a whirlwind of a holiday season that was!  We have so much to catch up on, but here are a few of the highlights.  I will definitely go into more detail in a later post.

First of all, I am trying to go more vegan this year.  I can't promise all vegan, because we do go out to eat on occasion and I would like to have carte blanche with the menu (hello, right??).  However, I am trying.  Just so you know, I will not be foisting this onto my family and friends, although there are a few friends out there who I know will be joining me on my journey, but I will likely slip a vegan dish in every now and then.

Ok, so the other day, I am walking out to the trash can and talking on the phone at the same time.  I fling open the lid to the dumpster-on-wheels and proceed to scare the ever-lovin-crap out of a squirrel.  A squirrel who had apparently been snacking in there.  Of course, the cute little ball of fluff scared the crap out of me, too.  In fact, being the pillar of bravery that I am, I ran off down the driveway screaming at the top of my lungs (I had forgotten I was still on the phone).  I am sure the neighbors enjoyed this sight.  After I got my wits together, I went back and took a picture of the aforementioned ball of fluff.  Can you see him?  Can you??

Look reeeeally hard.  He is there, looking back at you.
Dan put up lights this year.  First time he has ever hung them on the house.  Yay, Daddy!  Poor picture, but you get the gist.

Good jhob, Dad.  Good jhob.

Then Abby and I attended Juli's holiday extravaganza at Goddard.  Oh my cuteness, Batman!







Seriously???  Can you stand the cuteness??

Oh, I got picked up for subbing in Libertyville.  Here I am on my first day.  Feels goooooood to be in a classroom again, even if it is not mine.


How about a little lesson on the ethics of human cloning, eh?  A far cry from my precious kindergartners, but you know - go with the flow!

We took December off from Mommy School to do Christmas crafts and read a different holiday book every night.  This was so much fun, and it will be repeated next year for sure.  What great memories we made!  Now we are back in the swing of things, though.  Today, we read about Moses and the burning bush in Juli's Family Time Bible and then we read this:

Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann
Great book!  It only has about 12 different words in it, which makes it "readable" for pre-schoolers.  There are lots of details in the illustrations and at least four different themes to follow.  First, and most obvious, is the frisky little gorilla who steals the zookeeper's keys and lets all of the animals out as the man says good night to them one by one.  Then they all follow him home and....well, you know I don't ruin endings!

Then there's the mouse who follows the gorilla.  He is trying to carry a banana.  Too cute - look for his valiant struggles.

Check out the animal's cages - you might see some toys that you recognize.

Finally, look at the pictures in the zookeeper's house - it is clear that this man (and his wife) loves his job.

Then, Abby and Juli ate bananas for snack, of course!

That's all for now, folks!

Min

No comments:

Teaching is Hard

I'm have been teaching in some capacity since 2003. I started out as a substitute teacher and did that while I went BACK to school and g...