Monday, January 28, 2013

So Far, So Good

I have a confession to make.  I do not believe in New Year's resolutions.  I am not saying they aren't for anyone - they are just not for me.  Each year, for many, I would make a short list of things I wanted to do, be, and not do for that year.  Each year, I would fail at one or more of these promises to myself.  This did not make me feel good.  As a girl of...varied interests, it is hard for me to promise to do anything for one month, let alone twelve.  So, now I just sit myself down with me and I say, "Self, do your best this year."  Myself responds, "Okie dokie."  This makes us much happier overall.

That being said, I have lost seven pounds.  Not because I made a resolution to lose a certain amount of weight, but because I am trying something new - with no promises or official commitments made.
Shred: The Revolutionary Diet by Ian Smith, M.D.
This is a six week plan.  Now I know I said I can't commit to anything for even a month, but I am taking this one day at a time.  So far, so good.  Dr. Smith outlines exactly what you should be eating and doing each day.  It is like "Getting Healthy for Dummies" - seriously.  Those of you who know me know that I do NOT like to sweat.  Dr. Smith feels that we should exercise five days out of seven.  I have not done this and I have still lost seven pounds.  That being said, I am following the meal plans fairly closely with the exception of one thing - I cannot eat all of the food he wants me to!  He says we should be eating anywhere from three to four meals per day and then three to four snacks - and that we should be eating something every two to three hours.  I can't eat that much in volume, but I have changed how often I eat and what I put in my body.  Here is a typical day of eating that he recommends:

Meal 1:
     a piece of fruit
     cereal/oatmeal/omelette/yogurt
     juice
     a piece of whole wheat bread

Snack 1:
     100 calories or less

Meal 2:
     smoothie/protein shake/soup
     fruit or veggies
     diet soda/water/lemonade/juice/unsweetened tea/low-fat milk

Snack 2:
     150 calories or next

Meal 3:
     salad
     fruit
     one of the above drinks (but it can't be the same one as meal 2)

Snack 3:
     100 calories or less

Meal 4:
     chicken, fish or turkey
     2 veggies
     one of the above drinks, but it can't be the same as meal 2 or meal 3

exercise for anywhere from 20-40 minutes

Again, this is a typical day during week one.  This is how my day *actually* goes:

Meal 1:
     as directed

Snack 1:
     as directed

Meal 2:
     smoothie or shake
     diet soda
   
Snack 2:
     as directed

Meal 3:
    I make a dinner from The Six O' Clock Scramble and we eat it

Snack 3:
     only sometimes

No exercise if I can help it.

Seven pounds.  S.E.V.E.N. (in two weeks)

This has been a public service announcement.

Mindi

No comments:

Teaching is Hard

I'm have been teaching in some capacity since 2003. I started out as a substitute teacher and did that while I went BACK to school and g...